Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Adoption

So many emotions, so many ups and downs. That pretty much explains the feeling of adoption. My DH and I have been on both sides of life. We have experienced the birth of our two children, the death of our son, and the joys and sorrows of adopting two beautiful boys from Russia.

Adoption was not a new thought in our lives. Back in 1995, my husband had looked at adopting domestically as we were told that we would never have any children of our own. At that time the pricing through Catholic Social Services was $10,000. We definitely could not afford that at the time as we each made $4.50 an hour. So, we decided we were going to get a dog...

As we were waiting for our new puppy to be born, we found out that we were pregnant. We had defied the medical community. 9 months later our beautiful daughter was born. Danae you are the light of our life.

In 1999, we decided that it was time to have another child. We again were told that we would not have another child. After surgery to remove my right ovary, I found out that I was pregnant with our son. In early 2000, our son Dayne was born and was all boy. Tragically, in November 2001 our son left this world and is now playing in God's garden. We miss you Dayne. If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Whew what a blow. At points in your life, you think you are at the top of the world and in charge of everything. Wrong!

In September 2004, I ran across Adoption Ark website. At that time, you were able to sort by boys and girls and age. I ran across a picture of a little boy. I showed Dave and that was all she wrote. We completed all paperwork, home study, etc. In early January 2005, we were off to the Kemerovo Region of Russia, to meet our little boy. After visiting our new son, we waited 17 weeks in between trips and finally in May 2005 we were able to bring Draysen home. From day 1, Draysen fit perfectly into our family. We have not experienced any troubles with Draysen. He does have a little speech delay but, he has come a long ways in the last year. He starts Kindergarten in the fall. My baby...

In mid 2006, we felt the calling to adopt once again. We signed up with Lighthouse Adoptions (Hi Lorien) and we were off to the Mari El Republic of Russia on July 4th. We waited six weeks between trips and in August we brought home our son Devin. The honeymoon was over. It has been a very challenging two years, each day is a struggle, but we keep going and show as much love as we can.

Well guess what, I am feeling the urge again to adopt again. Of course the same questions are out there, where are we going to get the money. Who knows. Any ideas - anybody out there that has won the lottery and want to help us on our journey? Yah right.

More thoughts to come.

9 comments:

Courtney said...

I am so happy you are thinking of adopting again! And I am so happy you are sharing your story... even the very sad and hard parts. You are such a beautiful person!

Blogs are an awesome way to fundraise for adoption. So get a paypal button up so people can donate!

Yvonne Michelle said...

You are one brave soul girlfriend! Of course, you'd need two more to catch up to me (well, technically one, but you know what I mean...) Every day is a struggle no matter what. I don't think it's you, life gets in the way of love sometimes. I think you are spectacular and very brave! xoxo

Sarah said...

Wow, what a beautiful story! I look forward to reading more!

Salzwedel Family said...

If God is calling you to do this, He will make a way. Blessings to you as you make this decision.

Michelle said...

I am so happy you found my blog and I always appreciate comments. I have enjoyed reading about your family. I will be checking back in. Jesus bless you as your journey continues.

Blessings!
Michelle

Laura Lu said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story.

Congrats on your decision to adopt again. I will be praying for you. How exciting! I can't wait to see who the Lord blesses you with!

Nichole said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. I can't even imagine what you have been through. We are in the process for Russia, too. We are with a sister agency to Lighthouse. God bless you on your new adoption journey!!

Annie said...

We've adopted four times and never been sorry! Good luck!

junglemama said...

Congrats on you calling! Thanks for sharing your personal story. How amazing. I would love to hear more about your son Devin and how things are going. How old was he when you adopted him?